Sean Olivas’ practice focuses on the defense of tort, employment and civil rights claims.
Much of Sean’s practice involves defending employers in the gamut of employment litigation, including Title VII, ADA, ADEA, FMLA, NMHRA and other civil rights matters. He frequently teaches employment law seminars and served as the Chair of The State Bar’s Employment Specialization Committee for 10 years. He is a past Chair of the City of Albuquerque’s Personnel Board and currently serves on the Bernalillo County Labor Relations Board.
Sean practices extensively in federal and state courts throughout New Mexico, as well as before administrative tribunals. He has also handled appeals for clients in the Tenth Circuit, the Federal Circuit, the United States Supreme Court, as well as in the New Mexico Appellate Courts.
U.S. District Court, District of New Mexico
U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court
University of New Mexico, J.D. (1995)
University of California Irvine, B.A., magna cum laude (1992)
- American Bar Association
- Member of the New Mexico Defense Lawyers Association
- Past President of the U.N.M. Law School Alumni Association
- Past President of the Albuquerque Bar Association
- American Law Institute
- Served as Adjunct Professor of Law at UNM School of Law
- Honored by Southwest Super Lawyers® in 2014, 2017–2020, and 2023 for his work in the area of Employment and Labor law
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® in the area of Labor and Employment Litigation (2021 – 2024)
- Pompeo v. Board of Regents of the University of New Mexico, 852 F.3d 973 (10th Circuit 2017)
- Vigil v. State Auditor, 2005-NMCA-096, 138 N.M. 63
- Derringer v. State, 2003-NMCA-073, 133 N.M. 721
- Salehpoor v. Shahinpoor, 358 F.3d 782 (10 th Cir. 2004)
- Duran v. NM DOL, 143 F.Supp. 2 nd 1278 (D.N.M. 2001)
- Campos v. Murray, 2006-NMSC-020, 139 N.M. 454
- Arredondo v. Locklear, 462 F.3d 1292 (10th Cir. 2006)