Kurt Wihl practices in the areas of litigation and real estate. He has been a lawyer with the firm since he was admitted to the New Mexico bar in 1984.
Kurt has appeared in all district courts in the State of New Mexico, the New Mexico Court of Appeals and the New Mexico Supreme Court as well as New Mexico, Nevada and Southern California federal courts, the Ninth and Tenth Circuit Courts of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court. In addition, he has appeared before numerous state and federal administrative and regulatory agencies.
Kurt has prepared and tried numerous common law and statutory tort cases in state and federal court. He has experience in the areas of premises liability, motor vehicle (including over-the-road trucking) accidents, products liability defense, personal injury, construction defects, defense of civil rights claims, commercial torts, breach of trust, fraud and negligent misrepresentation, and interference with existing and prospective contractual relations.
Condemnation, Right-of-Way, and Real Estate Litigation
Kurt has significant experience in eminent domain actions both for the condemning authority and for landowners. In addition, he has handled lawsuits involving claims for quiet title, mortgage foreclosure, breach of lease, trespass, boundary determinations, nuisance, easements and right-of-way of all kinds, restrictive covenants, real estate taxation and zoning through trial.
Commercial Litigation, Complex and Otherwise
Much of Kurt’s practice is complex commercial litigation. For more than thirty years, he has handled complex lawsuits in state and federal court involving multiple parties, multiple claims, and class actions. He has successfully brought and defended class action and derivative lawsuits filed both in New Mexico federal court and in federal court in Southern California.
- New Mexico
- U.S. District Court District of New Mexico
- U.S. Court of Appeals Tenth Circuit
- Swarthmore College, double majors in History, B.A. (1980)
- University New Mexico School of Law, J.D., cum laude, (1984)
Honors & Awards
- AV Rating by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Selected for inclusion in the Southwest Super Lawyers® in the area of Business Litigation (2013 – 2017; 2019 – 2022)
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® in the following areas:
- Administrative/Regulatory Law (2012 – 2023)
- Commercial Litigation (2012 – 2023)
- Trusts and Estates Litigation (2012 – 2023)
- Personal Injury Litigation – Defense (2012 – 2023)
- Construction Litigation (2012 – 2023)
- Insurance Litigation (2012 – 2023)
- Listed in Best’s Recommended Insurance Attorneys