Ronnie P. Hawks
- Environmental Law
- Environmental Issues in Indian Country
- Energy and Natural Resources
- State & Federal Superfund Law
- Hazardous Wastes, Solid Wastes & Special Wastes
- Water Law
- NEPA Compliance
Ronnie P. Hawks
Ronnie Hawks’s practice focuses on environmental and regulatory matters involving a wide variety of state, federal, and tribal environmental programs, including:
- Federal and state Superfund laws
- Solid and hazardous waste regulations; and
- Surface water and groundwater quality under the Clean Water Act, Safe Drinking Water Act, Arizona’s Aquifer Protection Permit program, and similar laws.
He joined the firm’s environmental law practice as a partner in 2012.
- U.S. District Court District of Arizona
- U.S. Court of Appeals Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Arizona State University, College of Law J.D. (1998)
- College of William and Mary B.A. (1985)
Professional Associations & Memberships
- American Bar Foundation Fellow
- American Bar Association, member
- Native American Resources Committee Co-Chair (2014-2015); Chair (2015-2017)
- Environment, Energy and Resources Law Section, member
- Water Resources Committee, Programs Vice-Chair (2021-22)
- Native American Resources Committee, Newsletter Chair (2012-14)
- Superfund and Natural Resources Damages Litigation Committee, Programs Vice-Chair (2015-16)
- Water Resources Committee, Membership Vice-Chair (2013-14)
- Leadership Development Program (2012-13)
- State Bar of Arizona, Environmental and Natural Resources Law Section
- Arizona Forward, Southern Regional Council (2013-2015)
- BIA Proposes Federal Recognition for the Pamunkey Indian Tribe, 10 Native American Resources Committee Newsletter, No. 1, American Bar Association. (May 2014)
- USEPA Report on Navajo Nation Uranium Cleanup Issued, 9 Native American Resources Committee Newsletter, No. 1, American Bar Association. (July 2013)
- The Supreme Court Denies Review of Kivalina Global Warming Damages Claim, 9 Native American Resources Committee Newsletter, No. 2 American Bar Association. (July 2013)
Honors & Awards
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® in the following areas:
- Environmental Law (2011 – 2023)
- Litigation – Environmental (2016 – 2023)
- Natural Resources Law (2021 – 2023)
- Energy Law (2023)
- Listed in Chambers USA, Arizona, Leading Lawyer in Environmental Law (2015 – 2019)
- Led successful administrative appeal of environmental permit in a complex mining case.
- Negotiated settlements with state and federal agencies regarding hazardous waste violations at industrial manufacturing facilities, recycling facilities, and landfills.
- Performed environmental compliance audits on client’s industrial facilities state-wide, negotiated settlement of liability for violations, and developed compliance management procedures.
- Negotiated settlement of Superfund liability for pesticide-contaminated agricultural property impacting tribal land.
- Led a potentially responsible party search under federal and state Superfund laws for one of the largest Superfund sites in the country.
- Assisted a water provider in obtaining replacement supplies for production wells contaminated by mining wastes.
- Negotiated settlement of liability for petroleum releases from underground storage tanks. Negotiated settlement of liability under the Clean Air Act for asbestos handling violations.